GOODTIME's PCMAC HACKINTOSH BLOG

Hackintosh, OSx86, PCs, Macs, Home Made Airport cards, Building your own Mac or PC from scratch, The Home Brew II computer club of the new millennium. Steve Jobs Apple Inc. eat your heart out. I will get a New Mac one day. Just not today.



Sunday, March 12, 2006

Homemade AirPort 802.11 Card

My latest hack of the day was taking a dead Airport base station and turning it into an internal Airport Card for my Pismo PowerBook.

Apple's first Base Station (Non-Airport Extreme) has a Lucent Technologies WaveLan IEEE 802.11 PC Card inside it.

This Card can work as a PC Card in a PC Notebook and with third party drivers on a Mac PC Card slot.

It also can double as a Native Airport card when connected to an Airport slot and it uses Apple's Native drivers.

The only problem is the WaveLan is 1 inch longer than an Airport card. It is also too thick for my Pismo. I got out my putty knife (in this case a flat head screw driver) and took apart all the plastic and metal that surrounds the card. This resulted in a paper thin Airport card that I was able to fit into the Pismo.

One draw back, DHCP did not work with the homemade Airport card. However, DCHP with Manual Address works fine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home